From the desk of Dr. Kathie (Chiropractor)
Did you know that October 16th is World Spine Day? To help you have a healthier spine this World Spine Day, here are my top 10 tips to keep your spine healthy and pain free!
- Exercise Regularly– This doesn’t have to be anything overly strenuous. Something as simple as a daily walk can make a huge difference. Try downloading the Chiropractors’ Association of Australia’s Just Start Walking App at http://www.juststartwalking.com.au
- Eat A Healthy Diet– Proper nutrients allow the body to repair itself easier
- Maintain Good Posture– Are you sitting up straight as you read this?
- Stretch Your Spine Before And After Sports– This will also help to loosen up the surrounding muscles
- Don’t Overload Your Backpack Or Purse– Remember to carry it over both shoulders to balance the load (if possible).
- Stretch Your Legs And Back After Each Hour Of Sitting– Whether in a car or at a desk, stretching regularly will help to keep you from tightening up or injuring yourself further. If you get distracted and forget, this handy widget will remind you. Download it at http://whatsyourposture.com.au/sit-right/about-the-sit-right-widget/
- Never Cradle The Phone Between Your Neck And Shoulder
- Sleep On Your back Or Side, Not On Your Stomach– This helps to keep your spine in line and reduces the risk of hurting your neck while you sleep
- Invest In A Good Chair, Pillow And Mattress– When you think about the amount of time you use these things each day, it’s worth it.
- Have Regular Spinal Check-Ups– It’s much easier to prevent a problem than to correct one.
I hope these tips help you maintain a healthy spine! If you think you might need a postural check up, make sure you call the office to book (02) 9651 5559!