The New Year is a time of fresh starts, new resolutions and goals and a time to reflect on the past year and what was achieved. If you are struggling to find that perfect resolution for 2017. We have some ideas for you and tips on how you can keep them!
- Get in shape– The obvious resolution- combined with ‘exercise more’ and ‘be fit and healthy’. It is easy enough for you to say and start a great exercise and diet program but the hard part is to find one that suits you and your body and will give you the results and allow you to stick with for the long term. Motivation is a great way to stay on track- Having someone else keep you on track is key. It can be a personal trainer, family, or friends. Just knowing that someone else is going to ask you about your meal plan or exercise goals often helps you to resist temptations.
- Eat Healthier-Usually goes hand in hand with the previous resolution. Switching to a new and healthier diet can be tricky when we are constantly surrounded by quick and easy junk food. Be aware of emotional eating, think about what has failed you in the past and start researching some great healthy recipes to put you on your path.
- Stop Procrastinating –If you’re a procrastinator, this task won’t be an easy one. It is a barrier that keeps a lot of people from reaching their goals. Choosing to relax and do something fun instead of working hard. Use the 3 minute rule (or set your time)- if a task can be done in less then 3 minutes – then do it. Can your goals, be accomplished in this time period – No, but you can start them in this time frame – so start them.
- Be More Active-If you do or don’t want to lose weight, being more active is a top resolution. If you find yourself sitting around a lot – watching tv, at work or in the car, this can have a negative effect on your posture and health. Find ways to keep moving. Park further away from work. Walk to the next bus stop, do star jumps in the ad breaks of the TV, go for a stroll in your lunch break! Try it with friends and co-workers to make it more fun!
- Reduce Stress-They believe stress is one of the biggest killers out there and it can have a very destructive impact on your health and relationships. It can be an inevitable side effect of our modern lifestyles but can be effectively managed. Try some deep breathing exercises, make time for yourself, treat your body to monthly massages.
- Learn how to be Happier with your Life-A lot of people who ‘have it all’ are still unhappy, make sure you enjoy the little things in life and not let insignificant problems bring you down. Find what truly makes you happy and do more of it or make more time to do those things.
- Get better Sleep-With technology taking over our lives, we are constantly seeing glowing screens and beeping noises – it can be hard to turn ourselves off at night. You should be aiming for 8 hours minimum sleep per night, making sure these are quality hours of sleep. For information on getting better sleep – Check out our Sleep Blog by Dr Gabie.
- Visit your healthcare professional more often- Maintaining your health should be your number one priority, but many people don’t put their health first and don’t make time for themselves. When you put these things off, your condition normally worsens, making it more difficult for you to feel better! Regular checks-ups and tune ups are so important, no matter how healthy you are feeling. Look after yourself!
- Stick to the Good Habits you’ve developed – It is important that the positive changes you make throughout the year and your life become permanent ones. Just because the year ends doesn’t mean your resolutions have too. You will need to work on sticking with your good habits until they just become a part of your health routine. This is how you achieve true self-improvement.
If you need any further guidance on any of these, please contact the clinic on 9651 5559 to book a consultation with one of our health care professionals.
We look forward to helping you achieve all your health care goals in 2017.