Everything we do impacts how we feel. That’s why it is important to find a healthy balance over the Christmas and New Year period.
Here are some tips to remain healthy this holiday season:
- Eat regular meals throughout the day: eating less earlier in the day to save room for Christmas lunch or dinner can cause overeating later on.
- When you do eat, try to incorporate fibre into your meals, such as through whole grains, fruits and vegetables, to keep your gut healthy.
- Keep an eye on your alcohol intake: in a healthy adult, it is recommended to limit your alcohol intake to no more than 4 standard drinks for women or 5 standards drinks for men. If you have other health conditions, you should restrict your drinking even further.
- Stay hydrated, especially in our warm summer weather.
- Take care of your mental health: the holiday season can be a stressful time. It’s important to take some time for yourself to reduce your stress levels and boost your mood.
- Get enough sleep: keeping a regular sleep schedule is important for managing your mood, keeping your body healthy and staying productive.
- Stay active: even though our schedules are busier this time of year, you can still remain active by going for a bike ride, taking the kids to the park to play or playing a game of cricket in the street.
Find more health tips here.
Our practice will be closed from Thursday the 23rd of December and will reopen on the 6th of January 2022. Book an appointment here or call us on 9651 5559.
Hursthouse, N. 2020. 8 tips for a healthy Christmas season. Heart Foundation NZ. https://www.heartfoundation.org.nz/about-us/news/blogs/8-tips-for-a-healthy-christmas-season