As we all start to head back to work after the holiday period it’s important to prepare strategies to minimise anxiety and reduce stress.
Signs that you’re stressed:
- Feeling anxious
- Finding it hard to concentrate
- Extra sweating
- Less energy than usual
- Poor sleep quality
Tips to manage stress while returning to work:
- Have someone to talk to: whether it’s a stressful situation at work or at home, having someone to discuss the situation and your feelings with can help to relieve stress.
- Create a plan of action for when you feel stressed, such as relaxation techniques (meditation or mindfulness), activities that calm you down (e.g. reading a book) or going for a walk.
- Get plenty of sleep (aim for around 7-9 hours of sleep each night). Sleeping well is important for regulating your mood.
- Learn to recognise when work is becoming too overwhelming and you need to take a break.
- Speak to your workplace to create ways to reduce your anxiety about returning to work.
- If you continue to feel anxious and stressed at work, seek help from professionals such as Beyond Blue online or call 1300 22 4636.
Find more of our health tips here.
Book an appointment with us here or call us on 9651 5559.
Health Direct. 2019. Work-related stress. https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/work-related-stress