It’s Walk to Work Day!
Walking for just 30 minutes every day has been linked with a variety of different health benefits.
So what is walking helpful with?
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Building and strengthening your muscles – helping to relieve the strain on your joints.
- Boosting your mood and improving your mental health.
- Encourages better quality of sleep.
- It may reduce your cravings for sugary foods.
- Easing joint pain.
- Reducing your risks of developing many conditions such as heart disease, cancer, Type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer’s.
- Reduces your risks of fractures by increasing bone density.
- Keeps your mobile for longer as you age.
How can we include more walking in our lives?
Start slow and increase your speed and duration over time.
- Getting off the bus early to walk further to work.
- Taking the stairs instead of the lift.
- Walking to the shops instead of driving.
- Taking the dog for a walk.
- Going for a walk on your lunch break.
- Keep yourself motivated and held accountable by finding a friend who likes walking or wants to start.
Walking more has you feeling sore?
Book an appointment with our massage therapist or chiropractor here or call us on 9651 5559.
Find more of our health tips here.
Harvard Health. 2022. 5 surprising benefits of walking. Harvard Health Publishing Harvard Medical School. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/5-surprising-benefits-of-walking
Arthritis Foundation. N.d. 12 benefits of walking. https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/physical-activity/walking/12-benefits-of-walking