On average we breathe around 22,000 times a day. Our lungs allow us to breath and transport oxygen to our muscles and cells to be used to make energy for everyday tasks.
When we don’t take care of them we can experience breathlessness, a persistent cough and fatigue.
Benefits of caring for our lungs:
- Improves your circulation
- Reduces your blood pressure levels
- Improves your sleep quality
- Reduces fatigue
- Increases your exercise endurance
So how do we take care of our lungs?
- Quit smoking
- Eating a healthy diet
- Regular exercise
- Wearing protective equipment when exposed to environmental irritants such as dust, gas or fumes
- Avoid exercising in bad air quality e.g. Smokey areas from bush fires or near lots of road traffic
- Vaccines to prevent respiratory infections such as Covid, influenza and pneumonia
Did you know?
- Deep breathing can reduce stress and anxiety, improve circulation and reduce blood pressure.
- Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to allow more space for your heart.
- Women and children often breathe faster than men.
- You can live with only one lung!
Find more of our health tips here.
Book an appointment with our naturopath, chiropractor or massage therapist here or call us on 0651 5559.
Lung Foundation Australia. How your lungs work. https://lungfoundation.com.au/lung-health/protecting-your-lungs/how-your-lungs-work/
Lung Foundation Australia. See the signs. https://lunghealth.lungfoundation.com.au
Harvard Health. 2023. Breathing exercises to lower your blood pressure. https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/breathing-exercises-to-lower-your-blood-pressure#:~:text=But%20here%27s%20something%20worth%20pondering,by%20up%20to%2010%20points.