Our liver is the largest organ inside our body and it helps us by removing toxins from our blood, converting sugar into a different form for storage, making bile to break down fatty foods and metabolising the medications we take. It also has the ability to regenerate! This means that after injury, the cells are able to multiply and the liver grows.
So how do we take care of our liver?
- Avoid alcohol: having a lot at once or over a long period of time can cause damage. Limit your intake to 10 in one week or 4 in one day maximum and try to have several days during the week without any alcohol intake.
- Stop smoking: smoking can increase your chances of developing cancer.
- Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly: good nutrition, maintaining a healthy weight and staying active are all preventative factors.
- Get the Hepatitis A and B and Covid-19 vaccines.
- Avoid common modes of transmission for liver diseases like intravenous drug use, unprotected sex and using unclean needles for tattoos.
What does going alcohol-free do?
- Clears your head
- Gives you more energy
- Helps you sleep better
- Gives your skin a healthier glow
- Helps you to lose weight
- Gives you a sense of achievement
Go alcohol-free this Dry July!
Find more of our healthy tips here.
Book an appointment here or call us on 9651 5559.
Dry July Foundation. https://www.dryjuly.com/
Liver Foundation. Health and Prevention. https://www.liver.org.au/health-and-prevention
Nall, R. 2018. https://www.healthline.com/health/what-does-the-liver-do