Remedial Massage can be quite effective at relieving headaches. There are a variety of reasons we may find ourselves with a headache, many of which may be eased by Remedial Massage.
Some of these reasons for headaches might include:
- Tension or Stress
- Poor Posture
- Lack of quality sleep
- Eye strain (from computer screen/reading/phone or device screen)
- Limited mobility of spine though neck and upper back
- Jaw clenching
How can Remedial Massage Help?
Remedial massage can help relieve tension headaches by relieving tight or strained muscles of the head, neck and shoulders. Some of the techniques employed by Remedial Massage Therapists include:
Trigger Point Therapy
- Applying sustained, firm, targeted pressure directly onto sore “tight” spots of the muscle for an extended time
- Trigger point therapy helps to increase blood flow to the area, allowing relaxation of the muscle fibres.
- Applying gentle sustained pressure onto connective tissue restrictions throughout the body
- Myofascial release works on a broader network of muscles that may be causing pain. The aim is to reduce tension throughout the body, by releasing trigger points across a broad section of the muscular system.
PNF Stretching Exercises
- PNF Stretching is a form of flexibility training which involves both contracting and stretching of a targeted muscle group.
- PNF can work to improve active and passive range of motion, and over time may help to improve flexibility and muscle strength. This may be relevant to relieving headaches caused by overstretched or limited neck and shoulder muscles.
These are just a few of the many techniques used by Remedial Massage Therapists when working to alleviate the symptoms and causes of headache. Each massage is tailored specifically to your body and your needs, so that we can achieve the very best outcome for you.